If you are a QuickBooks user and facing any issues related to file opening and network connectivity while using the software, then it doesn’t take you to be an expert to resolve these issues. QuickBooks file doctor is a software developed and designed by the experts of Intuit Inc. this will help you in diagnosing the problem like facing an issue in opening the company file or any 6000 error arises during the software running and if you are observing the problem related to the network connectivity then QBDC can also come in handy.
For the QuickBooks 2016 and the later version the file doctor is built-in and if you are using an older version then don’t worry there is a stand-alone version available which you can download it separately from its official website.
This is an easy to use tool which will authorize the user to recover the QuickBooks company file before they get corrupted.
When to use QuickBooks File Doctor?
- When you are facing QuickBooks errors 6000 series like -6150, -6000 -301, -6000 -82,-6147, -6000 -130, -6000 -305.
- QuickBooks H errors like H101, H202, H303 and H505 can be diagnosed.
- If you are having trouble to get access in the company files.
- If customers and vendors list is empty.
- QB file doctor can solve Multi-user errors and network connectivity issues quite easily.
We recommend you to download the latest version of the QuickBooks File Doctor latest version if you are using an older version of QuickBooks software or update to the latest if using 2016 or later version.
How to use QuickBooks File Doctor?
There are few points you have to keep in get done before running diagnostic process.
- You need to be logged in as an administrator.
- You must have a good internet connection to upload files.
- Your company file must not be larger than 2GB.
- Make sure there is only one version of QuickBooks is installed in the system for best result.
Now let’s get started, first we’ll discuss how to use stand-alone and then Built-in version of QBFD tool.
Procedure to use QuickBooks file Doctor (Stand-alone version)
STEP 1:- Download and install the latest version of QB file doctor.
STEP 2:- After the installation complete tool will start automatically if not then you have to run it manually from the start button.
STEP 3:- Now the tool is opened search for your company file name you want to diagnose in the drop down menu or instead you can also find it manually using the browse option.
STEP 4:- After selecting the desired file choose the ‘check file damage’ option and then click on the ‘Diagnose file’.
Now two options will appear on the screen from which you have to choose accordingly.
- If you are suspecting an error in your company files related to QB error 6000 series like (-6150, -6000 -301, -6000 -82,-6147, -6000 -130, -6000 -305) then select option first.
- And your issue is related to the network like QB error H series (H101, H202, H303 and H505) then choose option second.
STEP 5:- Enter the admin password when required.
Now QB file doctor will ask you whether you want to update your file to the latest version if you are using an older version of QuickBooks software or you can continue with the old file as well.
STEP 6:- After all this QuickBooks tool will start its diagnosing process, this might take some time depending on the size of the file.
STEP 7:- After the completion of diagnosing process you can open repaired file directly from the tool. If you are using more than one QuickBooks software in your system then you will be asked for which version you want to use.
STEP 8:- Check the file to see if its repaired or not. If yes, then it’s a success and if unfortunately not, then reopen the tool and run a diagnose again.
Procedure to use QuickBook File Doctor (Built-in version)
This feature is only available in QuickBooks 2016 or later version. It will identify the threats or error automatically and will runs troubleshoot accordingly. To use this you only need to click on the start to run the tool and follow the below steps.
- Launch the QuickBooks software while making sure all the company files are closed.
- Select the File Menu<<Utilities<<Repair Files to run the QB File Doctor.
- Browse the file you want to diagnose and select open.
- Choose which type of repair you want to do from the show advanced options menu.
- Now enter the administrator password when required.
- Let the tool run its diagnostic program and wait for completion.
- Open repaired file to check if the work is done or not.
Now the file is repaired, we recommend you make a backup of your company files to the external hard drive. Since the process is manual you have to do it after regular time intervals like every end of the month.
- QBFD is not able to detect issue: If the tool is not able to detect the issue then relaunch the tool even then its not working, we advise you to ‘Auto Data Recovery Setup’.
- QBFD is able to detect and resolve issue: If the tool is able to find and resolve the issue then its the job done perfectly. You can now open repaired file.
- QBFD is able to detect issue but cannot solve it: If the tool finds the problem but cannot diagnose it we recommend you to Auto Data Recovery Setup and record the transaction manually from the last backup or you can also upload the file.
Limitations of QuickBooks File Doctor
- This tool is only compatible with the Windows OS and cannot run on the MAC.
- One of the major drawbacks is that it can only support two files 9 (.qbw and .qba).
- The tool may not work properly if there is more than one QuickBooks software is installed on the system.